UNDERSTANDING DIABETES MELLITUS TO THE FULLEST: knowing its signs and symptoms and understand the necessary prevention and treatment plan.
Diabetes mellitus is commonly referred to as diabetes is a chronic condition that affects your body’s to utilize the energy that is found in food.
Have you ever wondered why diabetes mellitus (diabetes) is becoming more and more common every day, the speed at which this disease is gaining popularity should be enough to raise our eye brows as careful and caring citizens. We should start digging deep into the matter to try and come up with possible solutions to such conditions.
Enough is enough, a lot has been said and similarly a lot has been heard concerning diabetes mellitus (diabetes) the information received is more often confusing than even it is informing. Let us put the cards to the table and talk about the matter (diabetes mellitus/ diabetes) scientifically.
First before everything else let us know what diabetes mellitus is or what is sometimes commonly referred to us ‘diabetes’; diabetes mellitus is a group of metabolic disorders or rather pathological conditions in which there are very high levels of blood sugar for a prolonged period of time. As simple as it may sound and as common as it may be, let it be known that this condition is critical and requires maximum attention that is to be effected immediately, it will also mean a change in lifestyle if you really need to ‘live right’. Some of the commonest and easily seen or rather noticed symptoms include;
- One experiencing frequent urination.
- One may also notice that he/ she gets thirst within very short intervals.
- One may also be faced with increased hunger.
These are just but a few signs and symptoms that should lead you to seek medical attention much earlier than expected and thus you can easily control the condition of suffering from diabetes mellitus (diabetes).
There are basically two types of diabetes mellitus; that is, diabetes mellitus type 1 and diabetes mellitus type 2.
Features that differentiate between diabetes type 1 and diabetes type 2.
- The onset of diabetes type 1 is sudden while that of diabetes type 2 is gradually.
- The age at which diabetes type 1 occurs in most is during childhood while the age at onset of diabetes type 2 is mostly in adulthood.
- Diabetes type 1 occurs in mostly thin or normally body sized individuals while diabetes type 2 is mostly common in obese people.
Diabetes only occurs due to either the inability of the pancreas to produce enough insulin or the cells of the body not to respond properly to the insulin produced.
Although we said that there are basically two types of diabetes mellitus;
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus. The type one diabetes mellitus comes as a result of the body’s pancreas not being able to produce enough insulin. However, it was not previously known as diabetes mellitus type 1, but rather it was referred to as insulin- dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) or also known as juvenile diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus. This type of diabetes it begins with insulin resistance (this is a condition in which cells fail to respond to insulin as expected), this might be the initial stages but when the disease progresses a lack of insulin may also develop. It was also not called diabetes mellitus type 2 previously, but rather it was popularly known by the name: non insulin- dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or adult- onset diabetes mellitus. And the most common cause of this type of diabetes mellitus is excessive body weight and lack of or rather not taking enough exercise.
- Gestation diabetes. It is not popular and it is usually ignored largely by the population but this form of diabetes mellitus which is the last main form of diabetes mellitus occurs when pregnant women without having a previous history of diabetes mellitus suddenly develop high blood sugar levels.
PREVENTION AND TREATMENT
Since diabetes mellitus has attacked most of us in the community, thus it should be known that this condition calls for urgent and emergency treatment. If this condition is overlooked, it may eventually lead to death.
But as they usually say that prevention is better than cure, it is most advisable that one should try as hard as he or she can to keep a distance or to distance themselves from such a condition.
The prevention and treatment of diabetes mellitus involves one taking and regularly maintaining a healthy diet that is low in fats, one exercising regularly (regular physical fitness), one should try as hard as he or she can to maintain a normal body weight as it is a major factor that causes diabetes mellitus and one should distance himself or herself from the use of tobacco.
One of the key factors that will keep the diabetes mellitus at bay is controlling and maintaining the blood pressure.
The type 1 diabetes mellitus must be managed or controlled by injecting insulin since it is caused by the failure of pancreas to produce insulin thus one has to inject insulin in their bodies to replace the insulin that was to be produced.
With type 2 diabetes mellitus is a little bit soft when it comes to treatment or rather management and it may be managed by medication either with or without insulin.
Insulin and some of the medications that we use in controlling and managing the diabetes mellitus either type 1, type 2, or gestation diabetes normally work to reduce and lower the blood pressure to normal levels.
Sometimes one might visit a doctor and find that it is either too late or the diabetes has gone to an advanced stage and thus at this point an opinion about one undergoing weight loss surgery might be introduced or proposed by your physician this especially is the case in those patient who are obese or have excess weight. As much as the gestation diabetes (a type of diabetes mellitus) it occurs in pregnant women, it is not visible or cannot be diagnosed until after the child has been born and thus it is said to revolve after the birth of the baby.
Take good care of your body and sure the body will pay back and take good care of you too, start today by taking positive steps towards achieving a healthy nation by taking care of your health. Mainly just keeping physical fitness and observing a healthy diet will help you achieve this.